EPIC understands the pressure our food and beverage clients are under to deliver products free of mislabeled allergens and ingredients and provide correct labeling verification. Product changeovers, niche market product variations and increased automation challenges have increased due to consumer and competition demands.
EPIC improves your product quality and execution efficiencies by verifying assembly and tracking, eliminating defects and capturing information at each phase of the production process. We ensure that ingredients are uniformly dispersed for consistency in color and fill level and avoid labeling mix-ups that cause expensive recalls.
Common food and vision inspection applications used in the food and beverage industry are below. Both food vision systems and beverage vision systems can be used individually or in any combination to improve quality and consistency of food manufacturing and packaging.
Common types of inspections in the food and beverage industry:
- Ingredient verification: detects that all ingredients are present on the product packaging – critically important with foods containing know allergens
- Date code inspection: verifies presence of date code on product packaging in addition to inspecting date accuracy for perishable items
- 2D barcode inspection
- Lot code inspection: detects presence of lot codes for product should a recall occur
- Label inspection: detects accuracy of label placement and orientation
- Artwork inspection: verifies that artwork is present and accurate on product packaging
- Fill level verification: detects inconsistencies in the filling process – ensures product meets quality standard set be manufacturer
EPIC works with a variety of food and beverage products, including:
- Baby food
- Pet food
- Bagged food
- Carbonated beverages
- Non-carbonated beverages
- Dairy products
- Potato Chips
If your product is not listed above, we can design and build a custom machine vision system to improve the quality of your product. Contact an engineer today to discuss your application.
Selected Case Study:
Label and Barcode Evaluation for Children’s Consumable Product
This application featured barcode verification for correct product labeling on a high speed juice bottling line for a children’s consumable product. The smart camera was integrated by our machine vision team to read the 2D bar code and verify the label was correct and present. The vision system allows internal verification and prevents lots from being quarantined for labeling mistakes.
Key Features: Beverage vision system for FDA compliance, improved accuracy of the product, ability to easily reject incorrectly labeled products, cost and time saving.
For more information on this, or any case study, please contact one of our machine vision engineers.